[T3] Mechanical Fuel Pump Vapor Lock

Adam Douglass one4house at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 22 10:03:32 PST 2014

Jim,

My car does not have chokes, so we can put that one to bed. I do agree that it should clear out the fuel pump a lot quicker, but it definitely acts like fuel starvation. The only thing I can figure out is that the hot air of the motor rest under the hatch and heats the fuel pump. If it were a carb issue it would not start when hot.

I was thinking of doing the Mr Gasket 12S fuel pump and Summit SUM-890145 inertia switch. The fuel pump is a 4 to 7 lb model. The inertia switch looks like a copy of the Ford inertia switches used in the 90's. Let me know what you think.

Adam
SUM-890145

On Wednesday, January 22, 2014 8:31 AM, Jim Adney <jadney at vwtype3.org> wrote:

On 22 Jan 2014 at 6:56, Adam Douglass wrote:

> I have read that type 3 cars are prone to fuel pump vapor lock on hot
> restart. My car does this. It will start fine when hot, but once the
> carbs run out of fuel it will sputter and choke till the fuel pump
> clears itself of the vapor and pumps fuel.

I'd expect the fuel pump to clear itself quite quickly. Is there any
possibility that what you are experiencing is that the electric
chokes are mis-adjusted and have closed a bit in the short time
they've cooled down? That might give the same symptoms.

> My thoughts were to remove the mechanical pump and go electric. I was
> thinking of putting in a low pressure fuel pump this weekend. Are
> there any other solutions?

I don't think most carbed Type 3s have this problem, but the solution
I would suggest would be to install one of those small electric fuel
pumps under the gas tank, up front. You can even leave the stock pump
in place if it's not causing other problems. They will run okay in
series without doubling the fuel pressure.

BUT, for safety's sake, you should also install an impact switch in
the electrical feed to the new pump, to make sure that the pump won't
keep running after an accident. IIRC, those are available at NAPA as
Ford replacements for under $30. Mount it rigidly to the body, under
the dash, somewhere you can get to it fairly easily to reset it if
necessary.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org