[T3] FI Normal Wear Items

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Jan 23 08:04:17 PST 2014

On 23 Jan 2014 at 6:47, Adam Douglass wrote:

> As far as I can tell with a short glance, everything was there as it
> should. What I am wondering is what are the normal wear items on a 70
> Square FI system? I know the pump. I would probably go with one of the
> Ranger fuel pumps just to have something more modern and more
> available. What else do I need to look for? What all am I getting
> myself into?

There are only a few things that tend to need service on the FI: the
hoses, the overflow hose, and the voltage regulator. On '70-1s, the
pressure sensor (MAP sensor) sometimes fails because only those years
have the diaphram that sometimes cracks; most of those are still
fine, but failures occasionally happen. The voltage regulators need
to be replaced when they wear out, because low system voltage makes
the FI system run excessively rich.

The pumps will last forever as long as the gas is clean. The main
cause of pump failure is a cracked overflow hose, which will let in
dirt and water from wheelspray.

> My car does still have the wiring from when it was FI. I think it
> would be an easy swap, and I would love to get my car back to being a
> true FI Squareback.

I think it's worth doing, but there are probably more parts to the
system than you are aware of. If you're not familiar with the system,
it can be challenging. I'm not trying to talk you out of it, I'll
help as much as I can, but you'll want the donor car to be side by
side with your car until you get the transplant finished.

> Along those lines, do the FI cars get better mileage? Once tuned and
> running, how dependable are they?

Some do, some don't. In general, if you have an earlier OG Solex
system, it will get better gas mileage if it is complete and properly
set up, including the correct distributor. Aftermarket carbs will
probably do worse, mostly because they will be set up for performance
rather than economy or low emissions. The FI will do better at
emissions than any carb setup.

Once set up and tuned properly, the FI is extremely reliable. Most of
my cars are still running on all their OG FI parts, except for the
hoses, overflow hose, and voltage regulator.
Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org