[T3] Heads are toast, rebuild time

Jacob Adam Schroeder jacob.schroeder at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 16:07:14 PST 2014

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 6:52 AM, Jim Adney <jadney at vwtype3.org> wrote:

> It's hard to imagine what would cause all 4 exhaust valves to wear
> like this, but it's clearly something you need to get to the bottom
> of. Is your car FI or carbs? What year?

I am running the stock FI set up and it is a 1972.  I really do want to get
to the bottom of this and have been hesitant to keep driving it.  It sounds
great when running, but I don't like to see those clearances tightening
up.  Although, if I rebuild, I will not be reusing any of the engine
internals from my current engine, so maybe I should just keep running it
and see what happens.  Worst case is I'll be out the money to tow it home
after it swallows a valve.

I don't plan on reusing any of the components because the case is
universal, as are the heads, and when I rebuild I'm thinking I'd rather
have my OG case/heads rebuilt.

Either way, I'd want to get a
> really good idea of what kind of gas mileage you're getting. That
> might have a lot to do with it. If, for example, it's running really
> rich, you could be getting carbon buildup on the valves, which would
> make the clearance go away. The solution for that would probably not
> require removing the engine.

I have my mileage log in my car (I left that one at home today), but I
believe by mileage has been hovering around 20 mpg and that is mostly
highway type driving.  Usually it is in the range of 18-20 mpg.  What is
"normal" for our cars?  The day-to-day driving I have been doing on this
engine is more highway driving than the engine has ever seen.  Before this
year (when I started driving it daily), it was mainly used by me in college
(~ 10 years ago) to run to the grocery/liquor store twice a week.

> The lack of the foam seal on top of the oil cooler MIGHT (very small
> might) have some effect on both left side cylinders, but shouldn't
> have any effect on the right.

Jim, that is a good point.  After searching many many forum posts here and
on the Samba, it seems like most people notice tightening on one exhaust
valve (such as #3) rather than all of them in unison at the same pace.
That is what is concerning me.

I have very nice foam pad replacements
> if you get to that. I'd want to check the thermostat linkage and the
> cooling ductwork; make sure everything is there, working, adjusted,
> and tight.

Thanks Jim, I will consider that if I get to that point.  I do not have the
thermostat linkage in place (the flaps are removed), but all the tin is in
place.  I had originally planned on pulling the engine to replace the
thermostat, linkage, and flaps (I have a complete set now), but if I'm
going to tear it down that far I might as well . . . you get the idea.

Jacob