[T3] Fi Heads

topnotch at nycap.rr.com topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Thu Jan 30 15:34:01 PST 2014

Original VW heads will have VW cast into them, anything else is generally crap.  Ive gotten 60-70K out of aftermarket heads but they are cracked and done after that and many times they dont hold valve adjustment very well. there were basically 2 kinds of DP FI heads, stepped and non-stepped.  If you going stock and use non-stepped heads you will have to correct for that with cylinder shims and valve train geometry changes, otherwise your stuck using high- test gas and that may not even be enough, its VERY important to get your compression ratio set up properly with the cam your using and the gas you plan to run. In a stock application, I needed 92+ octane with the non-stepped heads but can run 87 in most places with the stepped heads and flat top pistons, but even then on a warm day fully loaded going up a hill on the highway Ive heard her knock with 87 so I run 89.

Keith