[T3] Type 3 VS Type 4 Final Drive

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Wed Jan 1 09:54:16 PST 2014

In a message dated 12/31/2013 6:05:49 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jadney at vwtype3.org writes:

On 31 Dec 2013 at 16:28, Bobsnotch at aol.com wrote:

> Well,  checking some of the info I got from Russ, says that there were 2

> different sets of AT final drive gear ratios. A 411 (sedan) got the  same

> 3.67:1 that the type 3 got. The 461 (wagon) got the 3.91:1  final drive
ratio.
> The 411 is marked ED, while the 461 is  marked EC (how you tell the
difference
>  between the 2).

Okay, here's what I find in my latest "Without Guesswork."

Type  3: 9:33 (3.67) transmission marked EB

Type 4 (both bodies): 11:43  (3.91) up thru July '73 marked EG or EH

Type 4 1700 sedan: 11:41 (3.72)  from Aug '73

Type 4 1700 wagon: 11:43 (3.91) from Aug '73

Type 4  1800 both bodies: 11:43 (3.91) from Nov '73

or, viewed a different  way:

EB: 9:33 (3.67) used on Type 3s

My book doesn't mention the  ED, but I'll bet that's the later Type 3
version introduced in Aug  '71.

EG: 11:43 (3.91) used on Type 4 1700s up to July '71

EH:  11:43 (3.91) used on Type 4 1700s Jul '71-on

EK: 11:41 (3.72) used on  Type 4 1700 sedans from Jan '73

EM: 11:43 (3.91) used on Type 4  1800s

I believe the E? is a prefix to a serial number that's stamped
somewhere on the lower side of the case, so it will somewhat hard to
find. I don't remember where to tell you to look for it.

The book  implies that all of these gearsets were made by Gleason.

I agree that  changing the output drive flanges is probably the way to
go. That should  be a direct swap, but don't forget to install the
seal covers over the top  of the Allen bolts that hold those flanges
in place. If those are not  sealed, gear oil will come out there and
wash the grease out of the CV  joints, making a mess and leaving the
final drive low on gear  oil.

Swapping gearsets is a much bigger deal. It sounds interesting,  but
may require special tools and a lot of care to get a quiet and long
running adjustment. Still, you should study the process carefully and
consider it.

Happy New Year, Everyone!!!

Happy New Year to everyone!!

Jim, I got the info off the disc Russ made for me. You should have a copy
of it from Marilyn, that she gave you at the 2012 Invasion (it's in PDF
form).
In the Automatic Transmission section, is where I found the info (section
H 4.2 AT page 1-14), supplement 10. It's a nice chart. : )
In it, it calls out the trans number is stamped right on the flat ledge
above the fill plug for the diff (page 1-13).
Also called out are engine codes for the t-3 trans under the "U"
designation, and the EB prefix for the 003 300 035 A, and EJ prefix with  an H
suffix, but they also call out an "E" suffix for California only,  from Aug 71 on
(with "X" as the engine designation, and an EJ prefix). Note,  this is also
the same year that VW changed the vacuum modulator unit. But what  surprised
me, was the govenor unit had the same part number for all but the  bus
trans (part number 003 325 041).
The T-4 also got it's own "California only" trans with the designation of
003 300 035 F (EG was standard, but EH was Cal only) from 71 on.

All of that said, I believe the early ED t-4 transmissions were used in
Europe with carb engines from 68 to 70, and when VW started offering the Fuel
Injection on them, along with importing the Type 4 (411/412) to the USA,
they  changed the final drive gearing to 3.91:1 (8-70). It used engine code
"W".

The EB type 3 trans was up thru 8-71 (003 300 035 A), then was replaced
with the EJ trans in 8-71 (003 300 035 H).

I hope this helps, and maybe fills in a couple of gaps.

64 T-34 Ghia aka Wolfie
71  Square-vert under  construction