[T3] Inner Pinion Seal

Adam Douglass one4house at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 7 17:34:51 PST 2014

Crew,

It was brought to my attention tonight that there are, in fact, TWO pinion seals on the type 3 automatic transmission. I wanted to gather thoughts from anyone daring enough to talk about it. I was going to skip the inner pinion seal when I put my transmission back together. I am not comfortable being able to put the differential back together with the correct backlash for the rig and pinion.

I also thought that since this particular seal is kept in a river of 80W90, it may be in far better shape than the outer pinion seal. I may just be being lazy. What do you guys think? Below is some of a conversation that is going on in my Samba thread about the topic.

"I would like to clarify that the seal referenced in your picture is NOT the seal I was concerned with when I was worried about the need to disassemble the differential. There is ANOTHER identical pinion seal at the other end of the pinion shaft. See seal #3 in figure 11-5 on page 32 of the automatic section of your Bentley. It IS necessary to remove item #19 (Differential Housing) and item #13 (Pinion) to change this seal. It IS NOT necessary to remove item #4 (bearing race) which was my concern. The seal OD is smaller than the race ID and can be replaced THROUGH the race. Figure 11-7 in the Bentley actually shows this seal being pried out of the Differential housing."

Adam