[T3] Main bearings use to be BBbbrrrrrr!

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Wed Jan 8 19:53:08 PST 2014

On 8 Jan 2014 at 14:30, Keith Park wrote:

> I don't see how the bearings can spin with the alignment pins in
> place, The crates old motor had a center main that was beaten way out
> in the case, you could hear it on startup but I drove it that way for
> a while and it didn't spin.

The pins are only there to make sure you position the bearings correctly.
The feed holes in the bearings have to be at a low pressure point in the
journal or they won't feed. A loose bearing will hold for awhile, or maybe a
long while, but eventually it will tear the pin out of the case, or rip a
slot in the back of the bearing. Either way, it's a mess.

With cold oil, there's more torque on the bearing, so that is more likely to
spin it. OTOH, a cold case may grip the bearing more tightly (especially if
it's got the steel inserts) so it's not clear when things will go bad.

If the case has been stretched, the bearings are likely stretched, too, so
they may hold up in there, but new bearings of the "same"
size will be loose.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org

When I got home this evening it had got up in the low 40s here so I put a
1/2 " drive pull handle with socket to go on the bolt on the fan on the
crankshaft.  I could turn it but with too much effort. It does seem easier
than yesterday when it was 20 to 30 degrees colder but not that much and
still not right. I don't remember any steel main inserts when all this was
done.  I'm not ready to condemn my local guy yet who line bored the case
yet.  I'm not saying he's perfect and could not make a mistake. But he and
his business has been very respected in the VW community here in northeast
Alabama for over 40 years. This being a rule area you just can't do half par
work and stay in business for that long.  Word of bad work goes quick in
small towns.  If there is damage to the inserts it will be my fault. The
combo of a fresh tight engine with 300 miles on it combined with the temps
and the weight of oil was probably a bad series to put together.  I should
of never tried to drive yesterday.  It will be in the 50s tomorrow and see
if it feels loose enough to try to crank so maybe I might could get some oil
worked in but I know it's a long shot and will probably have to drag her to
the school drop and completely disassemble the engine and replace the
offending insert and anything else we see. UGH!!!

Dennis