[T3] motor vibration.

ROSS G CLARKE clarkeross28 at internode.on.net
Sat Jan 11 13:07:50 PST 2014

Hello to all,

I have a 1966 type 3 fastback with twin carbs. Recently I replaced the heads with new units. Once the motor was out I also replaced the clutch plate, pressure plate, throw out bearing. I have now noticed a motor vibration when the car reaches 1200 to 1500 RPM when the car is stationary. The vibration does not seem to appear while driving. My gut feeling is a worn cooling fan bush running out of true when revs are increased!  I am not experienced in this cooling fan arrangement as I have only owned beetles and kombis before I restored this fastback.

Can anyone suggest a probable cause of this vibration. Should it be the fan are they easy to replace and does the motor have to be taken out of the car to complete the replacement? Any advice would be helpful.

Regards,

Ross Clarke (Australia)
Ross G Clarke
0402 487 469