[T3] BBbbrrrrrr!

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Jan 6 20:19:46 PST 2014

On 6 Jan 2014 at 14:49, Max Welton wrote:

> I've driven mine at -17º this year, my new record low. It started but
> it was pretty sluggish. Once running it was fine.

I once drove my '68 when the thermometer at our house read -35 F, but
that seems too low, because I think that's lower than the official
recorded Madison low. Nevertheless, it was really REALLY cold.

I never worried about any of them running well in the cold. As long
as I could get it started it would run just fine.

> Along with the oil, think about the starter. This summer I replaced my
> old (uncertain vintage) starter with a new Bosch SR15 starter. That
> made quite a difference in cranking speed.

I'd been thinking it was the battery, because it doesn't seem to be
holding a charge very well lately, but the starter is the original
from '73, never been out of the car.

Unfortunately, this is an AT, so I can't remove the torque converter
drag. That may be part of the problem.
Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org