[T3] ZDDP options

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Jan 15 10:03:56 PST 2014

On 15 Jan 2014 at 9:55, B Fye wrote:

> I'm going to get some resistance for this... But I have talked with
> the folks at Engle Cams about it. After your cam and lifters are
> seasoned and broken in, additive is no longer needed.  After the first
> (non break in) oil change, I run the cheapest non synthetic on the
> shelf.

I'm gonna step in and agree with this. There's a lot to be said for
doing a good break-in, but after that I just use a decent oil. What
I've been buying lately is a 15W-40 house brand Diesel oil that comes
in 2 gallon jugs. If you read the small print on the back, it's also
labeled for SJ use, so it's not the latest S rated oil, but that's
probably a good thing. The latest S grade oils have reduced (or
eliminated (I don't know which) some of the additives for the sake of
the catylitic converters. Since we don't have those, the earlier oils
are actually better for us.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org