[T3] Early Automatic (5 bolt flance) in Late Car

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Jan 15 14:40:18 PST 2014

On 15 Jan 2014 at 13:45, Chris Sheridan wrote:

> >He may be thinking about the 6-bolt output shaft flanges for the CV
> >joints.

> I switched my 003 transmission about 5 years ago and seem to remember that
> I had to remove the flanges from the old transmission and switch them onto
> the other old transmission to get them to mate with the cv axle shaft
> flanges. There was a single bolt in the center of each holding it to the
> transmission. Is this what you mean by two different kinds?

I'm not sure which "two different kinds" you're asking about.

There are 2 different versions of Type 3 AT "bodies."

The early style of 003 AT has a 5-bolt flange around the output
shafts on each side. That style does NOT have the center bolt that
holds the output shaft and flange in place.

Starting ~with the '70 models, the 5-bolt flange disappeared and the
center bolt appeared.

These 2 styles of 003 ATs came with 2 different versions of output
shafts/flanges. They are not interchangable on the AT end, but they
mate up perfectly to the same CV joints.

If you had to change output shafts/flanges, then you probably got a
Type 2 or 4 AT which used larger CV joints. That  makes for more
styles of 003 ATs, as well as a number of sub-varieties, due to
different final drive ratios.

Then the internal workings of the Type 3 AT fall into 2 groups:
'68-71 and '72-3. They have different valve bodies, governors, and
vacuum modulators. They should not be mixed up.

Finally, there were 003s used for us, Type 3s, as well as in Type 2s
and Type 4s. (I think they were used in Type 2s, but maybe just Type
4s.)

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org