[T3] Losing Power?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Jan 20 09:06:44 PST 2014

On 20 Jan 2014 at 5:18, John L. Morgan IV wrote:

> Recently, my uncle has needed a car, so I loaned him my
> 1970, FB. I told him to take it in for oil, shocks, brakes, and
> he did so, but when I spoke with him last night about the tune up,
> he said that the reputable VW mechanic said that the points were
> bad and that a cylinder might be freezing up, but it was okay to drive?!

It sounds like a pretty odd diagnosis. "Points" might refer to the FI
points, which are separate and expensive. If that's what he means,
you might want to let me work over your distributor instead.

> Mind you, it has been running fine!
> My uncle now reports that the car seems to lose power as it
> cruises down the road. He described it like the engine is no longer
> pushing the car.

FI or carbs? MTor AT? Could be either version of points, or low ATF
if AT, or just needing the dwell and timing set. If FI, it could also
be a broken overflow hose and too much dirt/water in the gas tank and
a clogged fuel filter that won't let gas thru. If you haven't already
installed one of my overflow hose kits, you should.

> It is going back in today or tomorrow, but does this sound like a points
> issue?
> The mechanic could say it is the messed up cylinder, but it has been
> running so well...?

I get the impression that you're just reporting what the mechanic and
your uncle have said. You should take it out for a drive yourself and
see if YOU think anything has changed. Then try to report back to us
more specific symptoms. Keith's probably right about FI and this
mechanic; it's unlikely that he has any idea about what problems it
might have.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org