[T3] rear trunl problem

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Jan 29 15:06:19 PST 2014

> On Jan 29, 2014, at 8:39 AM, alluringeyewear at comcast.net wrote:
>
> > Hello all! Today when I opened my rear trunk to do an oil change,
> the trunk opened as usual. The wind blew the lid closed and when I
> went to reopen it, either the cable snapped or something else went
> screwy. The lever on the door pillar has no resistance whatsoever. How
> do I a: open my trunk and b: install a new cable? Are these still
> available or does anyone have one for sale? Thanks Doug "Leilani" '73
> Fastback FI

My first thought is that such an incident would not break the cable,
but it's possible that it might have caused the cable to slip off
it's anchor. If it slipped off at the release knob end, then try
Bob's trick of working thru the side panel just behind the B pillar.

If that doesn't work, do Dennis' trick of the screwdriver slipped up
past the rubber seal. You might have to bend up a special tool to
slip in there. Or John's suggestion of finding a neighbor child who
can slip thru the back seat and release it from inside.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org