[T3] Gas Getting Into Oil...

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Jul 10 05:30:43 PDT 2014

On 9 Jul 2014 at 14:03, J. Jonik wrote:

> [re/  '71  T-III FI Std.]

> With oil above the "full" line on the dipstick, it looks like fuel is
> getting into the oil...once again.  I'll double check to be sure all
> is level...and maybe drain the oil and do a careful proper fill.
>
> So, what are the first things to suspect and check in this situation?

Get a few feet of 5/16" hose and connect it to the port on the
pressure sensor. Suck on it and see if your pressure sensor holds
vacuum. If not, you may have the dreaded cracked diaphram. In that
case, you're looking for a replacement pressure sensor. I'm working
on replacement diaphrams, but I won't have them for a few months.

Put a pressure gauge on the fuel ring and watch the pressure when the
engine is running. It should be ~30 psi. If it's way higher, you
should look for a kinked return line or a failed pressure regulator.

Then shut the engine off. The pressure should drop to ~20 psi and
then hold steady. If it drops to zero rapidly, suspect a leaky
injector.

Disconnect and plug the fuel line leading to the cold start valve.
That may be miswired, or stuck open. The latter is a long shot, but
disabling the CSV won't hurt anything and will take this one suspect
out of consideration.

> And, since the smell test doesn't quite work...will a match light the
> gassy oil (away from the car, of course)?

I don't know. Any chance you overfilled the case last time you did an
oil change. That's easy to do if you did it with the car facing
downhill.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org