[T3] FW: radio in

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Fri Jul 11 19:55:53 PDT 2014

-----Original Message-----
From: type3-vwtype3.org [mailto:type3-vwtype3.org-bounces at lists.vwtype3.org]
On Behalf Of Jim Adney
Sent: Friday, July 11, 2014 2:08 PM
To: type3 at vwtype3.org
Subject: Re: [T3] FW: radio in

On 11 Jul 2014 at 10:55, Dennis Stiefel wrote:

> Right now I'm running one speaker in the stock dash speaker grill
> (probably a 5" speaker) on one channel and 2 6X9s in the back on the
> other channel.

Keith's point was that you can't just add additional speakers in parallel
without consequences. Adding speakers in parallel will lower the resistance
of the load that the radio is trying to drive, asking it to put out more and
more current. At some point, you'll fry the radio's output transistor.

One way to get around that would be to wire the 2 rear speakers in series,
which increases their net resistance. That will cut down the output from
those speakers, but make damage very unlikely.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org

Actually I've tried just doing one speaker on each channel (having 2 instead
of 3 like it is now). Didn't make much different as far as the distorting.
If the radio is so fragile that it can't handle one more speaker than what
it originally had when the dealer installed it then I guess I will have to
give up on having that part of the car looking original and just go with a
modern head unit. I'm kind of tricky on music.  But it's no big deal sounds
like I was expecting too much from it.

Dennis Stiefel
72 Fastback FI MT
71 STD. Beetle