[T3] FW: radio in

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Jul 12 13:54:34 PDT 2014

On 12 Jul 2014 at 11:47, Dennis Stiefel wrote:

> Yes I understand what you are saying about the ohms of the speakers and
> changing that in a parallel circlet as opposed to a series.  It's just been
> a long time since I've dealt with a car stereo that just has a place for two
> speakers but what you say make sense I guess I just worded that last email
> all wrong.  I struggle sometimes with communicating through text like an
> email as I am more of an auditory learner. That's why I done so many video
> blogs on you tube during the restoration of her.  Any who yes this is one of
> those rare birds in the Sapphire world that dose have FM stereo. That's why
> I really wanted to make this work.  It's a Sapphire 16 (I think) and from
> what I heard they only made a few in 72.  If you look in the photo I had
> with the first email in this thread you can see at the right side of the
> dial display there is a light lit up indicating a strong FM stereo signal.
> After you mention it I do remember as a teen seeing speakers wired up this
> way on car radios back when mono or stereo with only 2 places to hook up a
> speaker were more common.  I can try it but I still think my speakers are
> crap.  Sorry if I came off sounding like a smart butt last night wasn't my
> intention.

Nothing wrong with the tone of your posts, Dennis. I just missed the
fact that this was a stereo and that you had good reason to use 2 or
maybe 3 speakers. I just wanted to suggest the "center channel" idea
for the dash speaker, otherwise you'd just want to omit it.

As you say, the speakers you now have could be crap. Take a look at
the cones. If they are torn they are shot. If you can feel them
scrape when you push them gently in, they can be fixed, but it's
probably not worth the effort with speakers this cheap.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org