[T3] Late carpet color?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Jul 13 11:12:07 PDT 2014

On 13 Jul 2014 at 10:35, Phil Hof wrote:

> I have been looking for NOS front carpet pieces for my ´71 fastback.
> There seems to be more than one color offered for sale, a dark gray
> and black.  Some call these "light gray" and "charcoal gray".  The
> technical section lists "40 black 68."
>
> Can anyone clarify what I am looking for?
>
> I´m also working through the variations in heat rootlet and edge trim.
> There are many changes over the years, and I´m not sure what is
> interchangeable.

The main differences are color and AT vs. MT. Carpet sets up to
mid-'72, where the front seats are on two rails, are also completely
different from the later years where the front seats have a 3-point
mount. Charcoal was common, but beige cars came with light tan
carpet. I doubt if you'll find anything NOS, but I have some decent
'71 used pieces in various colors.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org