[T3] FW: radio in

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Jul 14 20:01:12 PDT 2014

On 14 Jul 2014 at 17:04, Dennis Stiefel wrote:

> OK Jim I was going through the beetle I'm fixing up for my 14 year old
> middle son and found some small aftermarket speakers in it I used when I
> drove it briefly in the early 2000s.  I'll try them out and see how they
> work before I get anything.

Beetles used a round speaker (It may be ~4"), but for under your
dash, you need a 4 x 6 oval. It's an odd size, but I have both cheap
ones and medium priced ones. A 4" round might fit well enough for a
test. My cheap ones have tiny magnets and fit easily, the medium ones

have huge magnets and are a bit of a struggle to get the original
bails to hold them in place. I don't think you'd have trouble with
either one.

To use either of these as a center channel, you would first have to
wire in your L & R rear speakers. You can't do the center channel
thing without the L & Rs. You might find that just using the L & Rs
alone work well enough.

I'm thinking that the cheap (small magnet) speaker might actually be
better here, because I'm guessing that it would give less sound, and
not drown out the stereo speakers. That's just a WAG, however.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org