[T3] FW: radio in

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Jul 14 21:10:04 PDT 2014

On 15 Jul 2014 at 3:27, Daniel K. Du Vall wrote:

> 	I have never taken mine out but I know its trashed would something like this work ?
>
> http://www.crutchfield.com/p_068R463N/RetroSound-R-463N.html
>
> I know I ony need one but like the idea of the better freqincy range.

Wow, are cheap, basic speakers that expensive these days?

I'm pretty sure one of those would fit, but the better frequency
range is probably more smoke and mirrors than reality. The extra
tweeter in the center probably doesn't add anything other than
bragging rights. Keep in mind that the AM bandwidth is only ~5 kHz,
while the FM band gives ~15 kHz, at most, but for those of us getting
older (I'm talking about me here) 15 kHz is about as high as I can
hear these days.

The magnet is only medium sized, but the plastic cone may well be
stiffer and more durable than the old style paper ones (but maybe it
will suffer from the heat under the dash.)

I'm astonished to see that the HiFi people are still allowed to make
claims like this. There's no way this speaker can handle 80 RMS watts
for more than a couple seconds, and the frequency range is given
without specifying the accuracy (+/- db) or distortion.

Still, most people have no idea how little power it actually takes to
make a lot of sound. Comfortable listening levels in a car are going
to be 1-3 Watts, while 10-15 Watts is what you do to "impress" the
neighborhood while wearing earplugs.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org