[T3] MPGs??

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Sat Jul 26 08:43:21 PDT 2014

Good point. The FI should be somewhat more efficient, making up a bit for
the loss due to emission control, but modern cars, with closed loop FI, do a
MUCH better job. That, and other advances like variable valve timing and
multiple valves, also help.

Over the years of Type 3 ownership, it's been odd to notice that in the
beginning we were some of the most fuel efficient cars on the road, but
modern cars now do better than Type 3s ever did. While it's unfortunate that
our cars no longer compare well in gas mileage, at least we can take solace
in the fact that the evolution (revolution!) to FI in everything started
here.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org

On the new technology don't forget gasoline direct injection that has made a
nice improvement in power, emissions, and fuel economic as well the last few
years.  As an automotive instructor I am required to go to annual new car
updates for new technology. The new Toyota Corolla not only has Variable
valve timing but also a way to control valve lift and duration as well. GM
and VW are working on a compression ignition gas engine but not sure if it
will make it to the US market because they are having problems meeting EPA
NOx standers with that set up. Ford is working on a gas engine that uses
lasers instead of spark plugs.  It would be interesting to see how the
engines in our cars would respond with some of these new technologies if
they were a cheap and easy way to do it which there is not.  A plug-in
Hybrid set up would be nice too.

Dennis Stiefel
72 Fastback FI MT
71 STD. Beetle