[T3] brake light switch

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Sun Jun 1 15:58:32 PDT 2014

I have always applied the handbrake (e-brake) if I'm going to be stationary
for a length of time.  However, with auto-trans that's not the way people
choose to drive (when stationary!), and if there's a resistance in the
switch, it will heat up if there's current flowing all the time your foot is
on the brake pedal.  Of course, a good switch shouldn't have a resistance
when closed anyway, so shouldn't get hot!  I assume the damage Jim is seeing
on dissection is evidence of the failure rather than the normal operating
condition.

I've not had a lot of trouble with brake light switches.  Is that because
I'm still therefore using the good German switches, or my driving habits?

Do those of us who drive manual cars have a similar failure rate of the
switches?

Is it perhaps because we generally only have the one brake light switch on
UK spec cars (ie no brake circuit failure light).  Can there be any reason
why when two brake light switches are present, it would explain the extra
failure rate?  I can't think of a rational reason for that, if so.

Puzzling!

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club