[T3] brake light switch

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Mon Jun 2 06:59:51 PDT 2014

Expensive and also quite dependent on a Beetle feature that we don't have.
It's an interesting product, but it certainly looks quite complicated. There
must be a simpler solution.

What's the 37 Ford solution look like?

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org

I agree I think there is a simpler way to do this on a T-3. The 37 works
similar to a modern set up since there is no hydraulic system to get
pressure off of. It works off a lever under the floorboard that is in turn
hook up to the brake pedal so when it moves it turns the one brake light on
the driver's side it came with.  Everyone needs to drive a vehicle from this
era. It will make you appreciate all modern car made in the last 50 years.
Cable brakes are scary even when they work right. Non synchronize 3 speed
trans that crunches every time you change gears if you don't do it just
right and a flat head V-8 that doesn't have much more HP than the stock 4s
in our cars. Makes me want to drive a stock split window to see how it
compares.  I will say in a lot of ways our cars run circles around an
American car made the same time. Guess that's why I went to the dark side on
my ford truck. The brakes steering and brakes were so rude compared to my
fastback.  Now if you are talking straight line performance or climbing a
steep grade that's a different story. Although Clementine is getting a
little zipper going up our little mountain here as the engine gets more
broke in. Got about 1600 miles now.

Dennis Stiefel
72 Fastback FI MT
71 STD. Beetle