[T3] AAR Adjustment?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Jun 2 22:23:09 PDT 2014

On 2 Jun 2014 at 19:54, Max Welton wrote:

> >That will work as long as you gave it enough clearance to accommodate
> >the next few years of warping. I'd take out the grease, however. They
> >never had any significant lubrication in there, other than splash
> >from the case. There's plenty of that where they live.
>
> Well you've pointed out that AARs that no longer move smoothly are very
> common. So in my mind VWs approach leaves room for improvement.

Certainly there would be room for improvement in the alloy used for
the body casting, I don't know if there are better zinc alloys, or
perhaps something in magnesium or alum. The problem isn't
lubrication, it's that the zinc alloy recrystallizes over time and
changes dimensionally. I know it happens, but I don't know any of the
details. The end result is an actual change of shape of the casting,
which is what you fixed to free up the movement again.

When they were new, the central rotor only touched the 2 insert
bearings. There was clearance everywhere else.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org