[T3] When towing on dolly, Have engine running or not.

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Tue Jun 10 19:42:49 PDT 2014

Subject: [T3] When towing on dolly, Have engine running or not.

You know I dont post much on here but this is a question that has been
bugging me for years so im gonna throw it out there...

Im in my late 30's and just ease dropping and always having curiosity on
this subject I always wondered. when towing on a Front 2 wheel uhaul 2
wheeled dolly (for example) attatched to a trailer hitch or just a tow bar
setup, would be better to keep the engine running or not?

The reason im asking is can it possibly damage the "Manual or auto"
transmission wise on long hauls like possibly damaging some how the inner
bearings and such of the transmission.
In my brain I figure gear oil should be flowing in there while the tires are
spinning while being towed or maybe it is because of the angle of being
towed i heard myths to keep it at idle or what not.

But I never really had a clear answer on this and thought i would throw it
out there in the air and might be educational :)

Thanks yall
Chris537

---
Manual you can tow all day with the wheels on the ground with no issues.
Automatics is a different story. With the engine off the fluid pump in the
trans is not turning as well so no fluid to your clutches and bands and that
is where the damage comes in.

Dennis Stiefel
72 Fastback FI MT
71 STD. Beetle