[T3] generator / regulator problems

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Jun 11 15:58:23 PDT 2014

On 11 Jun 2014 at 21:55, alluringeyewear at comcast.net wrote:

> Hello all!  I recently changed my voltage regulator because my '73 FI
> Fasty MT was running too rich.  Put in the new regulator, voltage is
> perfect car running correctly but now my generator light came on and
> will not go out.  Checked belt is fine, correct tension not slipping
> but light will not go out.

Does it go out when you turn off the key and the engine stops? If
not, then you need to disconnect the battery ground strap as soon as
you shut down.

If it's just staying on all the time when the engine is running, then
there's very little that can be wrong. The (blue?) wire from the
warning light could be shorted to ground at the VR, or the VR could
be defective, or, for some reason, the generator might actually not
be working. The last possibility seems unlikely since you report that
the engine is running fine again.

With the engine running, wiggle the (blue?) wire near the VR. If this
makes the light flicker or go out, then there's something there
that's shorting that wire to ground.

With the engine running, pull the (blue?) wire off the VR. If the
light then goes out, that means there's a problem with the VR. It
could just be something stuck next to that terminal that is shorting
it to the case, or it could be that you had the (blue?) wire
connected wrong, so that it was actually shorted to ground.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org