[T3] Marigold's story

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Jun 27 19:21:57 PDT 2014

On 27 Jun 2014 at 21:11, Gary Forsmo wrote:

> My '69 Square was running poorly from the time we arrived (Wednesday,
> 6/18) in Victor through today. We stayed on in Webster for 3 days ...
> 6/23 to 6/25; the engine still ran poorly. Since then we towed our
> Square to Ashtabula, OH where we've driven a few hundred local miles
> ... also running poorly. Tomorrow we will drive to Angola, IN to
> overnight, then Sunday, 6/29. We'll tow the Square from Ashtabula back
> to Lake Geneva.

Sorry to hear that it's not doing well. You mentioned poor running at
times in the weeks before the Invasion, but I was too preoccupied
with your front end work to deal with it then.

> But when I get back to Wisconsin, I need Jim and his Bosch FI Tester to
> 1.)  find the source of my problem, and
> 2.)  I need to install Jim's Primer Kit.

The primer kit only fixes a certain cold start problem. It sounds
like you have a running problem that must be different. We'll look
into it.

> Jim;
> Is the Primer Kit the *new *3-position Switch?  Or are you still looking
> for a source?
> I've forgotten what you said in your Tech Talk Session:
> Position #1:  Spring-Loaded, momentary ON to run the fuel pump motor &
> "charge" the Fuel Ring,
> Position #2:  Run?
> Position #3:  Engine will not run?  (Theft Protection?)

What I have now is just a simple pushbutton, not the more fancy type
which you've noted correctly above.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org