[T3] When towing on dolly, Have engine running or not.

73 squareback Cincy swaffordvw at cinci.rr.com
Tue Jun 10 19:30:19 PDT 2014

You know I dont post much on here but this is a question that has been
bugging me for years so im gonna throw it out there...

Im in my late 30's and just ease dropping and always having curiosity on
this subject I always wondered. when towing on a Front 2 wheel uhaul 2
wheeled dolly (for example) attatched to a trailer hitch or just a tow
bar setup, would be better to keep the engine running or not?

The reason im asking is can it possibly damage the "Manual or auto"
transmission wise on long hauls like possibly damaging some how the
inner bearings and such of the transmission.
In my brain I figure gear oil should be flowing in there while the tires
are spinning while being towed or maybe it is because of the angle of
being towed i heard myths to keep it at idle or what not.

But I never really had a clear answer on this and thought i would throw
it out there in the air and might be educational :)

Thanks yall
Chris537

---