[T3] When towing on dolly, Have engine running or not.

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Jun 10 22:08:59 PDT 2014

On 10 Jun 2014 at 22:30, 73 squareback Cincy wrote:

> Im in my late 30's and just ease dropping and always having curiosity on
> this subject I always wondered. when towing on a Front 2 wheel uhaul 2
> wheeled dolly (for example) attatched to a trailer hitch or just a tow
> bar setup, would be better to keep the engine running or not?

The MT will lubricate itself when towed. On AT cars, VW recommends
disconnecting the CV joints if the car is to be towed over 50 miles.
I suppose doing this with the engine idling might another way to do
this, but I wonder if there are laws against this. At the very least,
you'd want to stop every 50 miles just to make sure the engine was
still running.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org