[T3] Invasion weather looking PERFECT!

Soren Jacobsen snj at blef.org
Tue Jun 17 22:15:08 PDT 2014

On Jun 17, 2014, at 5:55 PM, Keith Park <topnotch at nycap.rr.com> wrote:

> Might be a bit hot for the western caravan tomorrow, but remember. your not
> in KANSAS anymore!  ;-)
> I might prefer Kansas to 3 1/2hours in a car with no Cruise control, no
> Gauges and an AM radio!

Only 3-1/2 hours?  When I took my 6V '65 Variant around the country for 2.5 months last year, you may recall that I had no radio whatsoever.  All those 8+ hour driving days weren't so bad -- you get to work on your singing voice, and cruise control just encourages dangerous driving habits ;)

> I did 30mpg in the Crate Sunday in a mix of highway and secondary road
> driving, no stop and go but that's still significantly
> Higher than the 71 would have done.  I wonder of the SP heads get better gas
> mileage?

I get consistently great mileage from the 1600SP in my '65. 31MPG if there's no significant stop and go.  This isn't just a tank or two -- over the past year and a half (23,000+ miles) it's held steady.  Then again, I drive at 55MPH whenever possible.  My Bug, with its 1385cc SP (and considerably less weight to it compared to the Variant), does 32.  With conservative driving and a well-tuned engine, you ought to be able to push past the expected 28MPG.

Soren