[T3] Sarah made it home!

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Jun 23 04:11:09 PDT 2014

For those of you who attended the Invasion, you surely remember
Sarah, the owner who endured the ordeal of driving here from Brooklyn
in a yellow '71 Squareback that had multiple SERIOUS FI problems:
enough to have stopped any of the rest of us.

Sarah was determined to get her car working again, and many of us
pitched in to help her. For 2 days, we worked thru one problem and
solution after another, each time thinking that we were finished,
only to discover that there must be another problem lurking just out
of reach of our understanding.

Special thanks to Lyndon from Kansas for his help and spare parts,
and to Dave Pallo who came up with some of the supplies we needed.
Not content with just winning the long distance Type 3 travel award,
Lyndon is continuing on in his dark green '68 square, figuring that
he might as well see Nigara Falls as long as he came this far.

We all liked Sarah, and Melissa eventually mentioned that she must be
the daughter I never had, since the daughter I DO have is great but
never had any significant interest in cars or mechanics. We wish her
success in sorting out any other problems she may have, and we're
ready to offer whatever long distance help she may need. We hope to
see her again at the next invasion, and maybe she'll even make it to
Wisconsin for a visit someday.

Well, when I got up this morning to check my email, there was one
from Sarah saying that she had made it home. Her only "problem" was
that she thinks she got 33 mpg, which I agree is way higher than she
should have. So she may still have issues that we haven't found.

I'll try to post a complete history of the problems and solutions we
had with Sarah's car after I get home and recover from this trip.
Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org