[T3] Old Car Problem #202756

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Mar 10 20:51:07 PDT 2014

On 10 Mar 2014 at 15:47, J. Jonik wrote:

> Re:   T III Sqbk 71
>
>    Because of combo of leaky driver-side door gasket, and having big
> floor jack stolen a few years ago (which made frequent underneath
> inspections less frequent), bad rust developed in the floor under the
> driver's seat.   I thought inside floor and underneath were
> rustproofed as best possible when I started using this car.

Water leaks onto the floor are much more commonly caused by clogged
water drain tubes from the fresh air intakes. Door leaks generally
don't get inside, unless there's a lot of wind, the plastic door
panel liner has been left off, or the rain is extremely heavy.

> But...Not So Simple when the seat won't come out or move back and
> forth at all, which it won't, despite some serious persuasion.  No
> access to the rusted areas from inside, above. The seat slide on door
> side seems simply rust frozen...and unless I can turn the car upside
> down so that Liquid Wrench or WD 40 or oil can drip DOWN into the
> slide groove area, the rust freeze will remain.

Take your time, use the thin spray tube to spray in from the front
and rear. Spray and repeat daily over a week or so. Get a big hammer
and a block of wood. The main thing is to not get in a hurry.

Once you've got it all apart, clean out the groove in the seat base
and put grease in there. I have replacement plastic slides, but they
are expensive. Broken slides will still work if you can hold them in
place while you get the seat installed, but you MUST straighten the
rails before you start and be very careful not to bend them again
when you install the seat. Having 2 people helps if you're not
already VERY familiar with this job.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org