[T3] Caliper width

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Mar 23 18:06:28 PDT 2014

On 23 Mar 2014 at 7:33, B Fye wrote:

> Centerline of the car

I checked a caliper and it looks like there's plenty of metal between
the bottom of the cylinder and that outside end of the caliper.
Looking at that outside end, there's a flat face and 2 beveled
facets. I'm guessing that you should be able to remove as much of
that outside face as long as you leave at least half of the bevels.

Check the inside of the wheel. I'm guessing that the surface there is
curved so that the caliper only hits in the area along one edge of
one of the facets.

It's also possible that the interference is along one or more edges
of one of the facets. If that's the case, be careful, as there's very
little meat there. There will be more meat at the ends of those
edges.

The calipers I'm looking at are OG ATe. If you've got Vargas, then I
have no idea what they look like.

Another possible solution would be to have a machine shop make you a
spacer from 1/8" alum plate. A ring with 4 holes for the lug bolts
should give you enough spacing to make this work.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org