[T3] Caliper width

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Mon Mar 24 06:38:13 PDT 2014

On 23 Mar 2014 at 21:15, Dennis Stiefel wrote:

> Wonder what a spacer like that would do to the SAI as far as wheel
> alignment goes? Maybe not enough to make much difference.  I'm just
curious.

SAI? Just feeling stupid here....

I was thinking that since his wheel was only 4" wide, a little outward
spacing would actually be good, since it would move the tire center a bit
closer to where a stock tire would have been.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org

Yes that's true but since our cars have a good bit of positive camber up
front ( and a good bit of negative on the IRS ones in the rear) it may cause
more pressure on the outer part of the tread leading to more tire ware
there.  But I can't say for sure it would. Like I said in the earlier post
may not be enough to make a difference just something to look at and make an
educated decision.  I have some old Riviera wheels I'm looking at putting on
mine so I'm looking at things like this as well as far as spacers goes in
case it rubs.

Dennis Stiefel
72 Fastback FI MT
71 STD. Beetle