[T3] Texas VW Classic

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Mar 26 09:45:17 PDT 2014

On 25 Mar 2014 at 12:31, Gary Forsmo wrote:

> Questions:
> 1.)  Do most of the original VW Type 3 parts begin with the numerals 311?
> 2.)  Do some of the parts which begin with 111 also fit our Type 3's?

The answers are yes and yes. You can get a more complete explanation
at:

http://www.vwtype3.org/info-part-numbers.txt

The only thing I would add, would be that the part number was
assigned using the model Type that the part was originally conceived
for. Most of the time this was the car that the part was first used
in, but ISTR that there are a very few exceptions where a certain
part, originally conceived as being for a Type 3, ended up going into
another Type first, or maybe never made it into a Type 3.

So, Type 3 parts usually start with 311 (or 361, 341, etc) but there
are lots of parts that were originally designed for Beetles, 111 or
113, that ended up on Type 3s. Likewise, but much less often seen,
are parts with Type 2 and Type 4 part numbers.

If you find a part number starting with 3, then it is AMOST certain
that it was used in a Type 3 at some time. Unfortunately, there is no
way to tell, by looking at the part number alone, whether a given
part would be correct for your '69. For that, you also need the parts
book or the microfilm. A Type 3 parts book, in decent condition,
might be something to look for at the Texas VW Classic.

VW switched from printed parts books to microfilm in late '73 or
early '74. The parts books had to be updated with replacement pages
in order to be up to date. Every dealer had a set of these books for
Types 1, 2, 3, and 4. Once the parts books were made obsolete, VW
issued complete new microfilm sets every 6 months and the dealers
threw away the old sets, or passed them on to interested shops. In
general, each Type is covered in 1 microfilm sheet, but Beetles took
2 sheets because of their much longer history.

The microfilm itself has been made obsolete by the modern computer.
VW now distributes the data on CDs or DVDs. I don't know how often
these get updated, but VW is pretty proprietary about them, so copies
are hard to get. For us, however, they are not very useful, because
so many of our parts are now obsolete. Once VW considers a part
obsolete and NLA, it no longer appears in the VW data. The part may
show up in an illustration, but it just gets dashs in the part # and
description columns.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org