[T3] Vibrational Sound

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Tue Mar 11 18:33:08 PDT 2014

I've a couple of troubling issues with my beloved '73 FI. First, it is
making a strange vibrational sound - I've attached a link to an audio
recording of the sound. Any ideas?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ifhfexan44m5jvy/G2%20Vibrational%20Sound.wav

Second, on an FI, what mimics a stuck choke - sluggish, no power, especially
on a grade, doubled gas consumption? New FI harness at engine rebuild
(balanced, blueprinted @ approx. 500 miles ago) and a Freeway Flyer.

Thanks and Best Regards,

Greg

Gregory Cox
341 Old Gurley Road Huntsville, AL 35811
Email: gregorycox1 at me.com
Mobile: (256) 679-1250

Can't tell much by the audio would have to hear it in person.  I know from
putting my FI back on the first thing to check on bad millage was voltage on
your charging system. I had everything working right with new stuff but with
student labor you never know when they will leave something loose.  The
thing was running rich with black smoke and when I saw the voltage was
around 12V even I checked the nuts on the generator and sure enough one was
a little loose. Tighten it up and it was around 14V again and the rich
running went away. If you need any help let me know may could make a trip
there sometime.

Dennis Stiefel
72 Fastback FI MT
71 STD. Beetle