[T3] Valve woes

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon May 19 08:53:24 PDT 2014

On 18 May 2014 at 11:56, Fiesta Cranberry wrote:

> Now, I'm having valve problems.  The # 1& 3 valves keep getting really
> loose.  The rocker arms have almost no resistance when when I move them,
> they're floppy.  It's like the pushrods are too short, even tho we measured
> them.  We replaced the pushrods with longer ones (yes, we measured) and now
> it's happened again.  They are not bent or damaged in any visible way.  My
> friend John thinks it needs a valve job, like maybe the valves are stuck.
>  But it gets such light use, that's hard to believe on a new engine.

There are no situations where longer pushrods would be a cure for a
problem like this. You've gotten a few good suggestions for things to
check, but my best guess would be that the new lifters you installed
with the rebuild were too soft and are wearing down quickly. I hope
your camshaft is still good, but that is also a suspect since 1 & 3
use the same cam lobes.

It's vaguely possible that you have some valves that are sticking,
but if you've watched them move up and down, and didn't see anything
unusual, I think you can forget that possibility. If you want to
really eliminate that possibility, check the cylinder compressions
all around. Valves that are sticking or are bent will ruin the
compression on that cylinder.

I suggest that you start by checking the nuts that hold the rocker
arms in place. That's probably not the problem, since you've had them
off already to replace pushrods.

Then using a real dial indicator, measure the lift on all 8 valves.
Do this after readjusting the valves. Write down each one, then
compare exhaust lifts and intake lifts. Exhausts will be smaller than
intakes, but all the exhausts should be about the same and all the
intakes should be about the same.

If you find that all your exhaust lifts are about the same and all
your intake lifts are about the same, then your cam is still good and
the lifters are the problem. If you find that the 1 & 3 lifts are a
lot smaller than the 2 & 4 lifts, then your cam is also shot.

Either way, repair requires a complete engine teardown and
replacement of the bad parts. If it's the lifters, that's the best
news, but you MUST buy GOOD replacements. They are not easy to find
and there's no sure way for people like us to know the difference. I
buy from Berg just because I know he knows what to buy. It's best to
replace the lifters ASAP, so they do minimal damage to the cam.

BTW, my very first engine rebuild ended up the same way: soft lifters
that wore quickly. In my case, I saw rapid wear on all 8 valves, so
this makes me think you may also have a cam problem. A call to Berg
revealed that most lifters out there were too soft. Gene gave me the
Rockwell hardness numbers and I was able to verify that my old ones
were exactly as soft as he had predicted. I was lucky to have access
to a hardness tester at that time.

There's a lesson here: New parts are not always better. In fact, they
are often inferior.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org