[T3] valve woes

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Thu May 22 17:50:04 PDT 2014

Longer push rods totally change the valve train geometry, you can wipe out
the guides in a few hundred miles if its bad enough.  Jake raby did a really
nice writeup on valve train geometry but he went to facebook and it was
lost.  Berg may have a writeup on it too but basically you want the valve
stem and the adjuster in perfect line at half lift, and making sure you have
proper lift for your camshaft at that length of pushrod.

What I try to impress on everyone is that if something goes wrong you need
to fully understand it, a quarter inch change in pushrod length is HUGE...
something happened and you need to find out what it is and fix it, rather
than just shooting in the dark, which is costly in most cases.  My engines
don't last as long as they do because I never did something wrong, I sure
have, but correcting it properly and making sure its right as soon as
possible has been the key.

Keith

Top Notch Restorations
topnotch at nycap.rr.com