[T3] 77 bus starter won't disengage

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun May 25 09:11:12 PDT 2014

On 25 May 2014 at 11:55, Henry wrote:

> On side of road so can't do much forum searching. Replaced starter
> solenoid, wiring is properly attached, no odd grounding.. When I turn
> key the starter won't stop.... Any ideas?

Is the key returning? If not, turn it back manually.

Is the engine starting? If so, blipping the throttle should kick the
bendix back, disengaging the drive pinion and the solenoid.

If the engine isn't starting, then your only option may be to remove
the battery ground strap. The only time I had this happen I tried
everything I could think of, including rebuilding the starter.
Nothing worked. I ended up exchanging the starter for a Bosch
rebuild.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org