[T3] brake light switch

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat May 31 13:14:40 PDT 2014

On 31 May 2014 at 13:48, Dennis Stiefel wrote:

> 6 months ago my brake lights went out and upon checking found out that it
> was the brake light switches.  I had saved the switches off the parts car
> just before we scraped it for just such an occasion so I swapped them out
> and problem solved.  Now these have gone out.  Would my FLAPS have these or
> is there a better source?  I seem to remember some people on here having
> some issues with new ones is the reason I ask.

The OG switches all seem to be giving out by now, so everyone is
having this problem. The Brazilian switches seem not to last very
long and the Meyle Chinese switches went thru a period of having the
wrong pinout, but that's been fixed.

Your FLAPS should be able to set you up, but there's no telling how
long these replacements will last. It's been a major problem for a
long time now and I don't know a really good solution. I've been
using the new Meyle switchs and there are also some Chinese ones that
come with the VW and Audi logos on them. They both seem better than
the Brazilian ones, but nothing's as good as the old original Ate
ones were.

I just talked to the people at airheadparts.com and they have German
Ate or FTE in stock for $16-17 each. They might actually be
worthwhile in the long run, but I haven't tried it yet. It's a lot of
money since you need 2.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org