[T3] Pressure Sensor repair and calibration

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu May 1 12:58:56 PDT 2014

For several years I've been able to recalibrate the '68-9 and '72-3
pressure sensors, but I had never taken the time to sit down with the
'70-1 versions to figure out what they required. The problem was due
to the fact that they have a diaphram and there are 3 separate
adjustments that all interact. That makes it potentially very
complicated. Add to this the fact that some of these diaphrams are
starting to fail, and this adds the burden of having to figure out
how to replace the diaphram.

Today I sat down with one of those Pressure Sensors and figured out
how to do each adjustment and in what order, so that part is
finished. Now I just need to find or make diaphrams.

I think I need .0035" Beryllium-Copper sheet to make these if they
are going to be reliable. Then I need to form it into a corrigated
diaphram. I have a die I had made, but I think I need to polish it so
the material can slide, rather than tear, while it deforms.

Is there anyone out there with access to this kind of material? Could
you supply me with small amounts of it? I found suppliers here in the
US, but they require more of a purchase than I can afford. Their rep
seems willing to help, but he needs more of a commitment than I can
honestly give him.

If any of you know of diaphram suppliers that might have something I
could modify and use, that would be even better.

In the meantime, I'm ready to try to calibrate some C Pressure
Sensors (the ones with the slots or holes in the cover) but I'm not
yet able to replace cracked diaphrams.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org