[T3] Tire Sizes

J. Jonik j_jonik at yahoo.com
Sat May 3 10:42:09 PDT 2014

'71 T-III      Shopping for tires for T-IIIs isn't so easy anymore. When tire dealers on-line ask for year and make, they don't even offer anything before about 1984.

And there's different messages about this out there.

Bentley says, for radial, it's 165 SR 15...though my current tires just have an "R", not "SR".

Elsewhere I read that there's a size 6.00 SR 15.  Is that wider, or narrower, than 165 R 15?

 For the sake of the spare storage, there's not much room to shove in something bigger than 165 R 15.

So...are there any alternate sizes that will fit in spare storage, and not rub against fender doing sharp turns?

And...if nothing to find in Philadelphia area, where to get proper VW tires?

And...if one has to resort to salvage yards to find inspection-passing tires, what other car(s) used that size tire?