[T3] Front Oil Seal and High Rev

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Tue Nov 4 09:50:47 PST 2014

Even if 5-seconds of abuse by a muffler shop employee did aggravate an oil
leak, I doubt you could prove anything.  It's a very old vehicle, and
crankshaft oil seals do fail occasionally anyway, as Jim has pointed out.
If your Type 3 hasn't been 'marking its spot' up to now, you've been luckier
than many of us!

If the leak becomes substantial, replace the seal as soon as possible, and
meanwhile make sure to check the oil level frequently.  Running with low oil
will certainly cause higher wear rates and ultimately serious damage.

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club

On 4 Nov 2014 at 2:04, J. Jonik wrote:

> Question now is:     Would a violent 5 second rev (of a warm engine
> with proper oil level) tend to blow, or loosen a front oil seal?
> (Count off five seconds to see how l o n g that rev was.  It was
> nuts.)

---