[T3] So I was doing an oil change....

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Nov 5 21:27:57 PST 2014

On 5 Nov 2014 at 19:10, Keith Park wrote:

> I changed it out, but still. dwindling supply, I may take the old one and
> try and find the hole.  What kind of Alcohol is in them?

How it would both expand and detach is a really good question. I
always try to screw them on as far as possible, but I suspect that
there are people out there who think that's part of the adjustment.

The working fluid has to be something that has a boiling point
slightly above the operating temp. I say slightly above, because they
work at a partial vacuum, so the actual boiling point will be
somewhat lower than that at sea level.

If you want to try to find the hole, install it in a spare thermostat
frame before you stick it in boiling water. Otherwise, it will
overexpand and ruin the bellows. Don't let it cool down in the water
or you'll draw water in thru the leak. The boiling point of water is
much too high to be useful here.

I have several downstairs that have slowly opened up just sitting in
storage. It's clear that they are not always perfectly sealed. I
bought one from a dealership many years ago; by the time I got it
home it had broken the box it came in. The dealer replaced it, no
questions asked.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org