[T3] heater thermostats

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Sat Nov 8 12:34:13 PST 2014

On 31 Oct 2014 at 11:56, Dennis Stiefel wrote:

> OK we'll check it out.  I have some left over 1" heater hose from my
> school bus wrench turning days so I think that will work.

You can try that, but this hose is actually 28 mm ID, closer to 1-1/8" ID.
It's also lightweight paper, which puts less stress on the parts that
support it, doesn't have as much thermal mass or thermal conductivity, and
is less apt to fall off.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org

Been a busy week for me so that's why the slow response.  I got it all back
together and tried the scrap heater hoses from the school buses I had and
you were right Jim just a hair too small.  So after hearing all the
on the thermostat housing so the heat is basically working like it did
during all the years it had the aftermarket exhaust  on her. I drove about
20-30 miles on a day last weekend where the high was in the upper 30s and
wind chill was around 30.  The heat worked so well I had to cut it off about
half way through the trip. I may go back and get the little paper hoses from
you later Jim but as long as it works this good I'm tempted to just leave it
along.  It's so strange to drive her with this stock exhaust.  When I stop
at intersections I keep thinking she has stalled.  When left the house one
day my wife didn't even know I had left because she didn't here Clementine
roar out of there.

Dennis Stiefel
72 Fastback FI MT (Clementine)
71 Stander Beetle Middle Son's car
67 Ford F-100 Hart of Crown Vic. (Leroy)
88 Golf Oldiest Son's car
10 Toyota Corolla Wife's car
65 Ford 4000 (old Blue)
Rainsville, Alabama