[T3] Clean oil cooler?

Jon Stiles misterstiles at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 09:06:03 PST 2014

It is safe to clean out an oil cooler with solvent. compressed air should be used to dry out and expel the solvent. I prefer a solvent with a high evaporation rate like xylene, lacquer thinner or a high quality carb cleaner.

I remove the oil pressure sending unit to keep solvent off of the plastic casting and clean it separately.

Type 1 coolers are identical to Type 3 coolers with the exception of the oil pressure location. Type 1 coolers have the boss cast into their design to be used with a type 3 oil pressure sending unit. They can be easily drilled and tapped if purchased new.

Caution should be used to keep any aluminum filings out of the radiator rows.

Jon Stiles

This message sent through a wormhole across time and space...