[T3] Flaps Closed For Business

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Nov 12 20:50:09 PST 2014

On 12 Nov 2014 at 8:42, Chris Sheridan wrote:

> What I feared has come to pass - while changing my spark plugs I found my
> flaps spring detached and floating around the head area under the right
> tin. Visual inspection of the notch I carved in the flaps rod confirms they
> are not opening after warm up. Car is running hot and Commuter is hotter.
> Options for someone who can't afford to take his car down for another week?

Remember, the spring doesn't open the flaps, the thermostat does. The
spring is only there to take the play out of the linkage, prevent
rattles, and reduce wear. I'm assuming you have a thermostat in place
and connected to the vertical pushrod up to the bell crank.

Study the photos in the Bentley ch. 3, pg 15, right column. Get
yourself familiar with the linkage. Then go to your engine and remove
the plate that covers the RHS spark plugs; that the little plate
that's #1 in ch. 3, pg 17. That shows the one on the left, but you'll
be removing the one on the right. It will take some effort to get the
2 screws out and then the plate should come up and out fairly easily.
You'll have to remove the #1 & 2 spark plug wires first.

Then reach in the far rear of that opening (rear is rear) and find
the horizontal rod that comes forward (forward is forward) from the
flaps. Where the rod enters the bell crank, there will be a small
cylinder with a hex head screw (maybe) still in it. That screw has an
8 mm hex head that points straight to the right side of the car. You
should be able to get a socket on that hex.

With the engine cold and the thermostat collapsed, turn the flap
shaft to close the flaps, then open them slightly. In this position,
tighten the 8 mm hex. That should get you back close to the correct
adjustment.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org