[T3] Flaps Closed for Business

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Nov 15 08:18:14 PST 2014

On 15 Nov 2014 at 7:06, Chris Sheridan wrote:

> I've looked at the photos. I can probably get the small tin off and even
> get a socket on the barrel nut, assuming it's still there, however, this
> won't do much for me if the linkage has become detached at the flap end, or
> in re-attaching the return spring at the flap end. For that, I'm assuming
> I'll need to remove the FI gear and Intake Runners, and Right cover plate,
> at a minimum.

If the barrel bolt is gone, you can replace it with one from your
local hardware store. It's an M5 x 0.8 mm bolt, 8 or 10 mm long. The
spring is unimportant in the short run. The important thing is to get
the linkage working.

Of course, if the thermostat is missing, you'll have to replace it,
or do as you say and take the upper parts apart to get the spring
back in place, unless you manage to hook the spring just working thru
the small spark plug opening.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org