[T3] Air Pressure Sensor Update

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Nov 25 11:04:41 PST 2014

On 25 Nov 2014 at 8:43, Chris Sheridan wrote:

> Hi, I too had my distrib rebuilt, etc, etc. and am experiencing horrible
> stumbling missing at idle in my FI automatic. What is the 'E' sensor you
> speak of? Whatever it is, I need one. Also I was reading Ray Greenwoods
> stuff on the Samba list and he states that our D-Jetronic connectors were
> only supposed to be accurate for maximum 12 plug/unplug cycles? This makes
> mine 4,000 times out of spec.

The E pressure sensor is for '72-3 and his car is a '73. I believe
you have a '71 which requires the C version.

Ray is more than a bit over the top in his opinions, nevertheless,
there is a problem with the connectors to the injectors. At some
point, well after our cars were out of production, Bosch changed the
thickness of the male pins in their replacement injectors. The later
pins are just a few thousandths of an inch thinner, but this makes a
difference. If your injectors have ever been replaced, it's likely
that the connectors no longer make good contact.

One thing I have to do whenever I first check out a car is check the
resistances thru the injectors, including the connection resistance.
Measuring from the brain connector to ground, thru each injector, you
should get ~3 Ohms or less. Measure it while gently moving the
connector. If you see any sign of an intermittant connection, you
need to fix it.

To fix these is a royal pain. You have to remove each female pin from
the connector body, squeeze them slightly, test the bare female pin
on the injector, the install back in the connector body. Doing this
for all 8 injector connector pins can take 2-3 hours.

With the exception of connectors which have been brutalized, I've
never seen any problems with any of the other FI connectors.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org