[T3] Heat exchanger advice

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Fri Nov 28 15:50:31 PST 2014

I think the metal parts were mainly to prevent the ehat insulation getting
damaged by gravel and rocks thrown up by the wheels.  Leaving off insulation
in Northern California probably won't have any adverse effect.  In a damper
part of the world the heat exchangers don't generally rust through under the
insulation, so some benefit is gained by keeping them on if your weather
tends to have wet days, and particularly in salty areas - coastal maybe, or
snow treated with salt.

Because we have now got trouble after around 40 years, we tend to think
about preventing it from returning in that time... OK for the youngsters
maybe, but academic for many more senior enthusiasts!

Otherwise, it's personal preference - some like to keep it looking original,
but not too many folk look under there anyway, and even fewer would know
what they would expect to see.

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club