[T3] 72 Square Fuel injected (not cranked in 25+ years)

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Nov 11 15:18:31 PST 2014

On 11 Nov 2014 at 17:02, Shane Hughes wrote:

> Jim, thank you for the info, especially on the tank and timing. Those 2
> things will help greatly. How can I test the advance/retard on the vacuum
> can? Also, looks like the Bentley manual will be essential to pulling this
> off.

To test the vac can, just remove the dist cap, connect a small hose
to one of the vac can ports and suck on the hose. If the hose holds
vacuum and if you can see the connecting rod move in the distributor,
that half of the can is okay. Repeat on the other port.

The manual you need is this one:

Volkswagen Official Service Manual
Type 3 Fastback and Squareback 1968-1973
published by Robert Bentley, Cambridge, Mass, 1974
ISBN 0-8376-0057-X / LPV 997 383 / VSQU
(excellent book, complete and well written)

This is still in print, but the wiring diagrams are no longer in
color. Good early copies sometimes come up on ebay.

Yes, you NEED this manual.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org